Saturday, January 14, 2006

Strange

This actually happened on Thursday, but due to mobile stress (as well as others) that evening, I forgot to blog about it. It also happened shortly before I met Kajal, which was very nice, indeed. :)

So, I was standing outside Starbucks in Golders Green at around 3.30pm, waiting for Kajal when along comes a boy I know, who similarly, has arranged to meet people at Starbucks in Golders Green, and is also waiting for them. Now, I've spent a maximum of three weeks with him on camps, all between August- December 1998, as well as having posted messages on a message board, in possibly what could be conceived as quite heated discussion with him.

(Aside to this story, but a comment about the same person: he one time actually said hello to me and used my message board pseudonym in so doing... in public. For this message board I use a nickname I had for a maximum of two weeks of my life, if not less, and he did not know me in this capacity.)

Anyway, we were having the usual kind of conversation, the what-are-you-up-to-these-days one, and so I said I was at Manchester University, and he said he'd just applied there. So I asked what he'd applied for, he told me, and then he said, "Let me guess, you've applied... sorry, are studying English." (He was in that post-application mode where it was still at the front of the mind.) I found this odd, as I couldn't see how he would know such a thing, but nonetheless I responded, "Good guess, maths and English actually, but pretty close, well done. How did you know?" (or some reply of that ilk.) So he said I just seemed like the kind of person who would study English. Now, yes, he knows I am pedantic about grammar to a high degree, but being pedantic surely does not mean that I am quite probably the kind who studies English, does it? Anyway, I was rather surprised and found it rather odd. (And no, I hadn't expressed literary views or the like on the message board. Conversations on there tend to be about religion and politics, or where you live (and being derisive about anywhere else).)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny, but I wouldn't actually have been able to guess that you were studying English, I'd be more inclined to guess maths, but I'm not entirely sure why. Btw. I know this is a rather late post!

Naomi said...

Yeah, people tend to either think of me as doing one or the other as if that was all I would have ever done at uni... except the numbers for each side are roughly even. Strange?