Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Ah, Hebrewisms.

Haha. I was searching the net for a movement shirt (the shirt I wear as a leader of my youth movement), thinking perhaps if I ordered it myself from Israel it would be cheaper, and came across an advert for בלוגים- transliterated to 'blogim'- which when I clicked on appeared to be a whole load of Hebrew blogs. Oh I do love how they use an English word (not even a proper word! A shortened word!) and then add the Israeli ending. Haha. :) *muses* I wonder what the plural of telephone and fax are in Hebrew. Hm. Anyone know? And how do they know if the word is masculine or feminine if it is stolen from another language?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They make it up, silly. "Telephonim" and "faxim", I believe. :P - Netta

Anonymous said...

indeed, it is טלפונים and פקסים.

All three- בלוג, טלפון and פקס are male.
How do we know? well, they do look like the male form.
These word are clear. On the other hand, the word "internet" (אינטרנט) confuses many- some use it as male, and some as female.
Myself, I think that in Hebrew "internet" is female, since it is short for "רשת האינטרנט" (internetwork), and "רשת" (Network) is female.

Anonymous said...

indeed, we have a silly language. and the most stupid in all that- we use the English as a part from Hebrew.
you born in IL or something?