Monday, July 12, 2004

Damned catchy musicals

Why did I agree to playing in 'Oliver'? Why? I should have remembered the torture of hours upon hours (and, in fact, days upon days) of catchy annoying tunes stuck in one's head. The numbers may well be fine when you see them as an audience, but when they have been stuck in your head for a week? Then it's bad. And I don't even have the vocal parts in my head. It's a random mish mash of the instrumental part that I play (i.e. clarinet and bass clarinet) with the vocals in during my rests. Gah. Argh. Erkk. (#Consider your ba-ba-ba-baa at do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do-doo...#)

What's more, the kind people who wrote out the instrumental scores kindly write it out so that there are the most impossible page turns. And the bass clarinet part goes to the very top of its register straight after playing at the very bottom (that's about a 3 octave leap, which is fine on a normal clarinet, but on the bass!?!). Never mind the fact that it is the school bass clarinet. (Actually, it's probably just my shoddiness at playing the thing rather than the shoddiness of the instrument. Ms. B is constantly telling me that the school woodwind instruments are excellent quality, which they are. Or at least, the school A clarinet is definitely better than my normal Bb.) Hmm.

#Consider your ba-ba-ba-baa at do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do-doo. -Sider your ba-ba-ba-baa one of the do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do-doo.# Argh!

No comments: