Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Interview and other things

Interview wasn't too bad, I guess. Had a good chat about 'Paradise Lost', 'Frankenstein' and Prometheus and them all relating to each other: was asked if I thought Shelley sympathised with God or Satan in 'Paradise Lost'... I said both in the same way it had been said about Milton, as can be seen through sympathies created for different characters in her novel. Realised I really really need to revise Keats more for tomorrow, as I couldn't remember 'Ode to a Nightingale' which they asked me about. :S I said it was a long time since we'd studied it, but still.... :S Gah. Practical criticism wasn't too bad. 'The Road Not Taken' by Robert Frost (although they don't tell you who the poem is by when you do it). Rather an easy poem to understand I thought, I probably could have written more and better than I did, but then they only gave us 45 minutes and hmmm... :s

Other news: just read about Joe Gordon, who was sacked from Waterstone's for writing about it in his blog. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/weblogs/story/0,14024,1388466,00.html) In slight disbelief that they would actually do such a thing, what with their freedom of speech thingy. Almost bought a book on (both) my way to and from UCL (they have a huuuuuuge Waterstone's literally opposite Malet Place, which is where the English department is). Oh, Dylan Thomas's collected works, or similar. I don't remember the exact title. It costs £8.99 and I decided that I would wait 'til the student discount days in Books Etc. or at least wait a bit, as I couldn't easily survive on £1.01 for the rest of the week, and I only had a £10 note.

Rather enjoying the Guardian's student 20p Guardian thingy. :) Saves me quite a bit. :) (http://www.guardian.co.uk/studentvouchers)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Waterstones is cool, you can go look at books before going to ULU.

Naomi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Naomi said...

Yes, it was a shiny huge lovely wonderful Waterstone's, and I liked it muchly until I read the article about Joe Gordon. :S

Who are you Mr/Ms Anonymous?

Anonymous said...

It was me...I presumed I was the only person who read your blog who went to see bands at ULU on a relatively regular basis!

AG

Naomi said...

Hehe. Quite true I suppose. It might have been someone who has actually been to a London uni and so to ULU stuff. :P