Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Exams yesterday

So yes, P6 was rather scary and horrible I thought, but I managed to write answers for all of it, which I thought was a good sign. Whether these answers written are complete gobbledegook, I don't know... a lot of it felt like I was doing certain methods through some kind of instinct without being able to properly back up the reason that I did what I did. Ah well, the answers looked reasonable and not too strange, so I reckon I should have got a good handful of marks in it.

P3 was easy (or for me it was, before anyone starts commenting with "no it wasn't! It was impossible!"), and I managed to finish with a good 40 minutes to spare.. about half the time given for the whole exam. This differed quite a bit from P6 where I finished with about 5 minutes to spare, if that. There were no trick questions, and they were even kind enough to say that we didn't have to express p explicitly in terms of t, which meant we could pretty much leave it how it integrated to without doing much to it. Lucky that. It would have taken an awful lot of fiddling and manipulating to get it into an expression of p= and not p/(1-p)= or similar. Well, not that much fiddling, but more fiddling anyway. In fact, I've just sorted it in my head, but still they didn't ask for it, so I didn't give it. I was a bit silly at the beginning writing x.2x=2x, but then quickly corrected that when checking through (I always make silly mistakes in the first question or two) and also realised whilst doing another question (because I came out with an impossible answer) that I had written lnp + ln(1-p) instead of minus, so had to change that, but that didn't make too many problems.

I'm also glad I was allowed to do P6 first and then P3... we only finished our second exam at 4.44pm, and struggling with P6 that late would have been a nightmare. I'm glad I effectively had lots of time to rest at the end and did the harder one first.

Now, enough procrastinating and time for me to go and do some English revision methinks..

No comments: