Friday, June 10, 2005

Right and I'm now back on the computer for continued babbling.. woo :) lucky you.

At the moment I can't quite understand what the obsession various people have with hi5 is- it's some online community thing I reckon, which I'm signed up, have had people join me as friends and people have written testimonials about me (along the lines of my pedantry, yellow, chickens and other random things), and yet I haven't actually discovered the point of it. I sign on so that I can say to Kajal (or Yog or Christina, but generally it's Kaj who actually asks me if I've read it) that yes, I've read her testimonial and (I guess) to affirm my friendship with her (who knows what might happen if I didn't.. probably nothing really, but I guess it's a good thing anyway). I'm reckoning it's a handy procrastinatory tool. I'm also reckoning it might be something similar to Orkut (another online community) which I managed to get into, joining communities and posting lots of messages, engaging in arguments and the like. The only thing is, people are much younger on hi5. I'm informed by Indian friends that it's an Indian thing to be addicted to, but I know plenty of non-Indian people who are also addicted to this, so I'm not sure about that theory. I've also not yet managed to find any communities that sound appealing or interesting to me, so I haven't joined any. I fear they will be worse even than the Orkut ones.. and those got hijacked by Brazilian people in Portugeuse! (Nothing against Brazilians or Portuguese, I just can't understand, speak or write in the language and so it's a bit hard to hold a conversation with them.) Yes, I know I was mad for joining, but then at least I don't get every two weeks an email telling me all the people who I know who are on there (or, to be more accurate, who know me) and that I really really should join because it is just the coolest to place to be. (N.B. I know that it is not the coolest place to be.) So instead I get bugged every time someone who knows me finds I'm on it, but I don't get reminded about this again and again and, quite frankly, I can ignore the emails and let them all filter through to junk mail if I really want.

By the way, the randonimity of today's babble probably would not have all gone into the one and same email: I doubt many people are interested in this much rubbish. I've just decided to vent my thoughts and ideas on various random things I have been pondering.

In between this post and the last one I've been planning an essay arguing whether Chaucer creates humour in 'The Merchant's Tale' through his satire of religious and courtly ideas. It's great fun. :) Chaucer is (or should I say was; his Tales are) funny, so an essay on humour is quite a good one to happen upon to write: you find some funny images, if possible connected to the statement given that you're arguing against and write about the irony and satire in it. I'm also pondering discussing other humourous attributes to the Tale to show that humour is not only created through the satire, and I'm also being careful to distinguish between Chaucer and the Merchant. Funfunfun.

Hopefully the weekend will bring more workyworkiness before my readathon that is Shavuot. I've realised that chemistry may need some attention, but am also aware of the fact that English exams come first and so surely they should be practised and worked on first? Maybe I'll wait til my first English exam is over and then will start on the chemistry a little more intensely. I did do some chemistry at the beginning after all and made lots and lots and lots of posters (a wall and a half's worth is that much). I also reckon that chemistry-wise I should be fine with unifying concepts (unit 6) but might need to do more organic work, learning lots of reagents and conditions, and possibly cramming them the night and morning before, since they are the things I forget very quickly. (Those are the first two modules. The other ones: trends and patterns and transition metals are my last exam and I have four whole days before them with nothing in, so reckoned I could work on them then. Hm, well that's what the main plan is anyway.)

Please tell me how many boats you think there are in this painting. I think there are three, but others think two.

Other news: my abilities at procrastination have definitely increased this week. :S I think this is rather obvious considering the amount of posting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Three boats? It's really getting to me...

Anonymous said...

Three.

netta