Monday, November 01, 2004

Late night poetry writing, photos and stuff...

Poem first, methinks. (I wrote this last night, or maybe on Saturday night.)

Words
Fabricated fecundity
Impressing the reeling eyes and the seeing mind,
Not sure where
or why
or how
or who
Its meaning both clear and confusing
At once understood and uncomprehended.
Intending one thing,
Meaning another
The author's ideas confounded
And compounded by the reader's interpretations.

Why each particular word,
Each sy-lla-ble,
Each l-e-t-t-e-r,
All significant:
nothing doesn't have a reason.

And yet, wade in too deep
And you'll be lost,
Lost in a world of analysis,
Unable to see the wood for the trees.

If you just take a step back,
Not a mile,
Not a kilometre,
Not a metre,
Just a single step,
Look at what's in front,
what's behind,
and where you're standing,
The whole picture, the overall meaning,
How the colours blend to make the masterpiece
The notes to make the symphony
Then you might just realise
That there's no poınt at all.

Second: photo news. In August I blogged from Israel, on Torani machane: one day we went to Tel Azeka, and I whined that I had forgotten my camera and requested a copy of the group photo from there from anyone reading this with a digital copy. Well, Jonny Lipczer (*waves to Jonny*) "stumbled upon" my blog, read my plea and sent me the photo! Here it is:

(For those who have forgotten, Tel Azeka is where the Biblical story of David and Goliath happened. David was up where we took the photo, Goliath down by the road which you can't see in the photo.)

And other stuff...
I'm currently trying to find two essays that are vaguely decent and I don't mind talking about at interview to send off to Oxford (they sent me a letter asking for essays on Shabbat, as well as a separate letter with college allocations).

I'm rather annoyed that I didn't go to Limmud tonight (one-to-one Jewish learning), but I thought it best to appease my father. The only thing is, is that there is no Limmud next week, as it is sheva brachot (a big meal (party in this case) in the week after a wedding where the seven blessings from the wedding ceremony are repeated at Grace after Meals)- where I'm playing in the band. :D Lots of fun.

My grade 8 is scarily soon (within the month) although I still don't know the exact date, as they gave me a Saturday (grrr) so I'm going for cancellations and there haven't been any I could do so far.

Hmmm... I think that's about it. I'm sure there's other stuff that I've forgotten, but then I keep forgetting things of late.

No comments: