Thursday, December 09, 2004

Today's papers

Having read today's Grauniad (yes, I read it late in the day, and I know I was supposed to be doing my coursework, but I wasn't in the mood and didn't overly have the time before our guests arrived for dinner) I actually can't believe they are thinking of "sidelining" or even banning plays like 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof' in some states in America. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,11710,1369643,00.html) I mean, you can't sideline or ban modern supposedly "pro-homosexual" (I believe that is the term used) drama, and yet leave Shakespeare. Not that they should ban Shakespeare. Nonononononononono. Nothing should be banned. Is America not the "land of the free"? At least, I thought it was. Mind you, I've just remembered that I'm talking about a country where there are states that have banned 'Catcher in the Rye', 'Of Mice and Men' and 'The Handmaid's Tale'. Not to mention 'Harry Potter' and all Judy Blume books. Hmm.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Err. How was Shakespeare pro-homosexual? @_@

Naomi said...

S'all to do with the fact that when it was all written, the entire cast would be male, with men acting female parts. Therefore when a guy kissed a "girl"... and this all led to actors being accused of being "sodomites". Also, read 'As You Like It'. :) Silly Americans. *shakes head*

Anonymous said...

It ios a funny world when the land of the free won't let its people read freely. I'd understand if they thought it might corrupt kids or something (although I don't think i agree), but banning everything? haven't they got real criminals and terrorists to worry about?

CK

Naomi said...

Well, they haven't banned everything. God forbid they should ban the Bible. ;)