Thursday, May 05, 2005

Polling day

A delightfully memorable date, handy if your kid is born today or you get married- nice easy anniversary that is hard to forget. Also a (possibly memorable date for an) election. I was rather amused by the Labour bus, which passed me this afternoon when I was crossing Finchley Road near the O2 centre, megaphoning "Labour, Labour, Labour! Vote Labour! Don't let the Tories in by the back door! Vote Labour!" It amused me, anyway. My dad informed me that Hampstead and Highgate (or that constituency, anyway) is quite marginal, so that may have been the reason for the bus.

Surprisingly few posters and "for sale" type placard sign thingies supporting the various parties in my area. A few Labour ones spotted on the way down to the polling station and a fence that had Conservative (aren't I good? Nah, we all know them as Tory) posters pinned on to it.

Hopes for the outcome? Well, it would be rather nice if Labour did have a lower majority (come on, we all know they're going to win, or at least they're the better of the two evils), but at the same time I don't want Howard to have gained too many extra seats. I think it'd be good if the Lib Dems gained a few more seats (which they're expecting, I believe, although obviously not enough to be the Opposition or win or anything silly like that) and I think it'd be nice if the Green Party won that seat that has been reported that they may well win (Brighton somewhere, I believe. People walk down the street and shout across the road to the Green candidate, "I'm voting Green!". No Green candidate in my constituency, though).

Yesterday's school mock election was just funny, with the choice of candidates (well, not the individual candidates themselves, I rather mean the parties they represented) being rather... different, shall we say. In true Communist style, Anna (the Communist candidate) rigged it, voting many more times than she should have, and was consequently disqualified. Rather amusing idea, though. April and I were apparently the only year 13s to vote (we were heading out of the building, and I suggested going via the hall, so we did), and we both voted very differently to how we did today. Not that I know how she voted today, but she said yesterday that it would be very different.

Which reminds me, happy birthday April! :) (Eat lots of chocolate. :D)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

''I think it'd be good if the Lib Dems gained a few more seats (which they're expecting, I believe, although obviously not enough to be the Opposition or win or anything silly like that)''That's a great phrase! It's hilarious how you cynically write off the Lib Dems. I can't remember what happened in the end, though... and I should find out if the greens got a seat.

Naomi said...

The Greens did not win any seats, although they had 1.04% of the vote.

The Lib Dems gained 16 seats, which I thought was really really good.

It wasn't intended as a cynical write-off, but rather a hint of realism, whilst still hoping. I wanted the Lib Dems to win some seats (and hold some too, of course) but I'm not silly enough to think that they may have actually become the Opposition in the election.